[Bf-gamedev] Texture Baking Maps - Proposal

metalliandy metalliandy666 at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 31 20:27:27 CET 2013

> Keep in mind that the proposal was drafted to make it simple to
> re-bake the same maps for the same (or different) object(s). So before
> getting to the specifics it would be nice to see a 'show of hands' on
> whether this would bring benefits.

Sure, no problem. :)
> Do you always use the same UV Map for all the maps you are baking?
Yes, for the vast majority of cases. Maybe in .01% of cases I will bake
an AO map to another UV set but this technique has largely been made
redundant with the adoption of SSAO in all modern game engines (Even
SSAO is getting old now and is being replaced by SSDO) so I cant imagine
why anyone would really want to still do this. It's also expensive to
have multiple UV sets (cost increasing with each new vert. added in the
UV map) so again I'm not really seeing the benefit to this for game use
at least. Geometry is cheaper now more than ever but it doesn't make
sense to waste it when better alternatives exist. Perhaps it would still
be a good idea to have this for the sake of legacy though.

Having said all this,  it would be useful if for example when there is a
character mesh that has separate UVs for the head and body, but even
then I'm not sure that the extra complication would offset by the benefits.
Blender's baking workflow is already super fast so there isnt much to
gain in that respect IMHO.

> Your propose implies that all the maps are exported externally, which
> may not fit so well in Blender design in my opinion. Ideally you want
> to bake the maps and preview if they look good in Blender. That's why
> we propose to select an Image Datablock for each map
Yes, but there is also the fact that many people in gamedev wont be
using Blender as the final platform or even view their texture in
Blender at all. Because of this they would have to export all the maps
to use the externally so it would be nice to automate this. I think it
is more likely that people will be viewing their textures in UDK, Unity,
CryENGINE, Marmoset or Source.

Cheers,

-Andy