[Bf-funboard] "Loft" as standard option on Curves

Jim Adkins adekyn at gmail.com
Wed May 15 23:10:23 CEST 2013

Hi All,

     From my own *limited* experience, the way to perform a "Loft"
operation on a Bezier or NURBS Curve, is via the "LoopTools" add-on (which
is not active by default).

     Using the 'loft' feature (once enabled), requires the user to:

        1) Toggle to "Object Mode" from "Edit Mode"

        2) Press 'Alt+C'

        3) Choose 'Convert To Mesh' -- (which eliminates the original Curve
objects)

        4) Toggle back to "Edit Mode"

        5) Select all vertices for the operation -- (which were already
selected prior to step "1")

        6) Press "w" -- to display "Special" menu options

        7) Select "Loft"

     Would it be beneficial to:

        a) Promote "loft" functionality as a 'first-class' Blender citizen
and eliminate the need to activate an "add-on".

        b) Add the feature as a menu option/hot-key on the Curve object.

        c) Create a non-destructive approach -- preserve the Curve objects
as "templates", so the user could 'undo' and readjust/add additional
curves, then "loft" again (or just re-use the Curves)

     This would be similar to the workflow pattern found in Maya and, I
think, would increase the modeler's productivity.

     -- If there is currently a better/more efficient way of performing a
"Loft" in Blender, please educate me. --

Thanks,
Jim