[Bf-funboard] Proposition for Blender 2.7/2.8: Text Engine

Tony Mullen tony.mullen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 16:41:45 CEST 2013

Hi

Text-handling is a good start, but only a small part of supporting RTL,
> bidi, or TTB/BTT languages. In fact large sections of the UI need to be
> flipped / reoriented to correspond with right-to-left meaning.

As a Blender user in Japan, I can say that there is pretty much zero demand
for a totally TTB UI. However, there is considerable need for better
handling of Japanese text. The possibility of TTB layout in a 3D Text
object would be great, and the ability of Blender to accept typed input and
handle the kanji/kana conversion would be a major improvement. At present,
Japanese text must be cut and pasted from another text source into the
"Text" window in the tool shelf, which itself only appears when something
is typed into the 3D text field. This makes for a lot of steps to get text
into a 3D text field.

As far as the UI goes, there's really only one major issue with Japanese
that seems to be a difficult problem to solve, and that is correctly
rendering Japanese language characters from system files in the File
Browser. Even when the entire Blender UI is switched to Japanese, any files
named in kanji or kana will be rendered in the file browser as a series of
rectangles. This is obviously a significant problem for Japanese users.