[Bf-funboard] Proposition for Blender 2.7/2.8: Text Engine

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 21:43:39 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Tony Mullen <tony.mullen at gmail.com> wrote:

> The possibility of TTB layout in a 3D Text object would be great, and the
> ability of Blender to accept typed input and handle the kanji/kana
> conversion would be a major improvement.

Even when the entire Blender UI is switched to Japanese, any files
> named in kanji or kana will be rendered in the file browser as a series of
> rectangles. This is obviously a significant problem for Japanese users.

Supporting any layout direction for characters of 3d-text, and fixing
UTF8/unicode support for filesystem-filenames both sound like
straightforward low-hanging fruit to fix!

What operating system and operating-system localization do you see this on?
Is it present in all cases?

I don't know any of the details about text-input APIs, but that sounds a
bit more involved. My instincts say we should support the os-specific input
managers, so it can be solved once per-platform instead of
once-per-language. Is that the way this is generally handled?

Here are a couple links I came up with doing some quick searches...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/434048/how-do-you-use-ime

https://code.google.com/p/ibus/

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/TextFonts/Conceptual/CocoaTextArchitecture/TextEditing/TextEditing.html

http://redcocoon.org/cab/j4mactyping.html