[Bf-funboard] Toggling proportional edit during transform

Matjaz Lamut matjaz.lamut at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 10:26:08 CEST 2013

Proportional editing doesn't look like a simple toggle. Currently it has 3
states with 1 more coming in 2.68 and 1 more possible that users have
expressed the wish to see it implemented, but not on any roadmap.

-Disable
-Enable
-Connected
-Projected (2d)      <- in 2.68

-Along geometry      <- requested and mentioned by users. Imagine fingers
on a hand and you only wish to affect one of them from the tip to the base,
without affecting neighbouring fingers. Can be done if the effect of
proportional editing travels along geometry rather than an influence sphere
around the reference point.

In addition, you have 7 falloff curves to choose from for proportional
editing.

-Smooth
-Sphere
-Root
-Sharp
-Linear
-Constant
-Random

With so many options for proportional editing I do wonder how things can be
designed for nice usability. Adding proportional editing into transform
actions would at least double the existing commands one can already do
during transforms. That is, when I imagine simple toggle keys, no fancy
usability ideas in my head.