[Bf-funboard] 4-column layout for editor-type menu

Luke S. subscription57 at Live.com
Sun Jul 7 19:26:47 CEST 2013

On 7/5/13 11:06 PM, David Jeske wrote:

>     On 7/5/13 10:12 PM, David Jeske wrote:
>>     http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54961 - C7 - 4 column, WTAS-grouping,
>>     full header
>     ...I would say that the Movie Clip Tracker functions more as a
>     tool than an asset like the File Browser or Outliner,
>

> I'm not saying my breakdown is "correct" in any way, but let me
> briefly clarify the philosophy behind it...
>
> My definition of "Tool" here is something that edits and visualizes
> data being created in a workspace.
>
> Movie Clip Tracker does not operate on data in a workspace. It
> operates on an asset (aka a movie clip) and produces data to be used
> by workspaces. In other words, it takes file-movie-assets-in, and
> spits out movie-streams and camera-tracking data into workspaces.
>
> The same is true of the NLA Editor. You create Animation data in the
> workspace using the graph editor and dope-sheet. Then the NLA editor
> lets you "package" that animation into an asset, removing it from the
> workspace. Then you can shift/loop/mix it with other animation assets
> in the NLA Editor.
>
> Did I sell you on that breakdown?

Yes, this does make a lot of sense. I think my original assumption about
what each of the terms mean was a bit different from yours, but this
explanation clarifies things.
Like I said, my main concern is that there is a good, clean layout of
the different editor types. As long as things are laid out nicely (like
the 4x4 design you have), the actual items could have no real
organization and still be found quite easily.