[Bf-funboard] 4-column layout for editor-type menu

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 06:06:54 CEST 2013

>  On 7/5/13 10:12 PM, David Jeske wrote:
>
> http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54961 - C7 - 4 column, WTAS-grouping, full
> header
>
> ...I would say that the Movie Clip Tracker functions more as a tool than
> an asset like the File Browser or Outliner,

I'm not saying my breakdown is "correct" in any way, but let me briefly
clarify the philosophy behind it...

My definition of "Tool" here is something that edits and visualizes data
being created in a workspace.

Movie Clip Tracker does not operate on data in a workspace. It operates on
an asset (aka a movie clip) and produces data to be used by workspaces. In
other words, it takes file-movie-assets-in, and spits out movie-streams and
camera-tracking data into workspaces.

The same is true of the NLA Editor. You create Animation data in the
workspace using the graph editor and dope-sheet. Then the NLA editor lets
you "package" that animation into an asset, removing it from the workspace.
Then you can shift/loop/mix it with other animation assets in the NLA
Editor.

Did I sell you on that breakdown?