[Bf-funboard] 4-column layout for editor-type menu

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 11:51:17 CEST 2013

This should have gone to the list..
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "David Jeske" <davidj at gmail.com>
Date: Jul 5, 2013 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Bf-funboard] 4-column layout for editor-type menu
To: <harley at hacheson.com>

I agree that pretty much any top/down consistent multi-column ordering,
including just the current ordering, will work better than the current
orientation-shifting single-column.

However, I think we can come up with a grouping and headings that make
sense if we put a little effort into it.  To me, the "AAA-grouping" (aka,
Animation, Assets, and Assembly) , seems better than the current ordering,
and it's just a first draft I spent a little time coming up with.

Perhaps a takeaway is that we should spend a BUNCH of time generating
options and selecting a good layout.. changing to multi-column is a
no-brainer in my book, but shifting this thing often seems like a bad plan.
Let's make an informed grouping decision and think to the future...

----

I just spent some time generating a bunch of options (see bottom). My
favorite "forward thinking" layout is C7...

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54961 - C7 - 4 column, WTAS-grouping, full
header

This grouping is based on a "level of detail" look at the editors... Users
start in "Workspaces" to author things, with "Tools" offering alternate
views and controls on workspaces, "Assets" offering higher levels of
abstraction for integrating assets, and "Scripting" rounding out the deep
end...

----

Compare this to my original AAA-grouping, which was based more on today's
estimated frequency of use...

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54914 - B2 - 4 column, AAA-grouping, headers

Here "Primary Editors" represent the static-3d modeling tools most used
among blender users. "Animation" represents the next set of features, once
we start looking at actions-over-time. "Assets" are the tools used to
manage the project, and "Assembly" are used to assemble static-3d assets
and animations together into composite works (movies or games).

-----

Thoughts? See more options below...

--------------------[ Appendix of Options
]--------------------------------------------------------------

"classic ordering":

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54949 - A1- 3 column, "classic ordering", no
headers

some AAA-grouping header styles/choices...

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54950 - B1 - 4 column, AAA-grouping, no headers
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54914 - B2 - 4 column, AAA-grouping, headers
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54951 - B3 - 4 column, AAA-grouping, 3-headers

some alternate group/order combos, all with full headers...

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54953 - C1 - 4 column, AAS-grouping, full header
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54954 - C2 - 4 column, ASA-1-grouping, full
header
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54955 - C3 - 4 column, ASA-2-grouping, full