[Bf-funboard] Feature Proposal: Freehand/Custom Mesh Object Type

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Thu Aug 15 17:51:02 CEST 2013

Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM, Jason van Gumster <
> jason at handturkeystudios.com> wrote:
>
> > This is already easily done with a Python add-on. I've written a couple
> > add-ons
> > to add custom mesh types for my own uses. Writing one to create an empty
> > mesh
> > and drop you into Edit mode is very easy... but I personally don't think
> > it's
> > something that needs to ship with Blender as a default.
> >
> >   -Jason
> >

> LOL, easy for a programmer but NOT for an artist! I am a programmer and I
> would still spend more time researching blender python programming etc that
> it would be worth vs just adding a cube and deleting the other points. Also
> each update would mean redoing the work or at least reinstalling my add-on.

I'm fairly certain that the 'Copy Previous Settings' feature also copies over
local add-ons as well. No re-installation required!

> I think this is a simple and basic request. What is a good reason not to do
> it?

I think I wasn't clearly making my point. The use case for this is so specific,
that I don't think it needs to ship with Blender. However, all it takes is a
single add-on coder to hack together an empty mesh add-on and anyone who
specifically has this use-case will benefit.

That said, the more I think about it, I'm reasonably sure that it wouldn't be
all that difficult to write an add-on that gives the basic facilities of the
"custom mesh" feature the OP asked for. Perhaps if I can find some time this
week, I'll try to mock something up.

  -Jason