[Bf-funboard] Blender new keymap progress

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Sun Nov 18 21:55:06 CET 2012

Hey guys,
I've started work on the new blender keymap again (was really busy for a while).

I recently made this commit (the log includes a listing of the hoykeys):
http://projects.blender.org/scm/viewvc.php?view=rev&root=bf-extensions&revision=3980

In short, mesh edit mode is now ready for testing by modelers, and I
encourage anyone experienced in modeling to give it a try and then
give some (constructive!) feedback.  In particular, if there are tools
that you use frequently that you think should be assigned to a primary
hotkey, or if (after giving yourself a chance to get used to things)
some of the choices feel awkward.  You will need a recent svn build of
Blender to test, of course, as I just now committed this.

There are still some things that I would like to change, but which
will require diving into Blender's source code.  I'll get to them
eventually.  Specifically:
- I would like to make an operator that combines face/edge creation
with the vertex connect tool.  i.e. if 2 or more verts are selected,
and they're all part of the same face, use connect--otherwise use
face/edge creation.  Then we won't need separate hotkeys for the two
tools, and I think it will also help prevent certain common user
errors resulting in strange meshes.
- Currently edge-loop and edge-ring select don't have add or remove
selection modes, only replace and extend.  I'll need to add those to
make them consistent with the other selection tools.

(And remember that space-bar is the mode-switch key now, not tab.)

--Nathan