[Bf-funboard] default file

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 21 10:02:35 CEST 2008

Davide Vercelli wrote:
> Is this mouse button thing *that* confusing?

In a word, yes. Left-click select  (with optional drag for bounding box
select) is pretty much as close to a universal paradigm in creative
applications as one gets. It is the default nine times out of ten and,
where it is not the default, left-click for dragging selection is
generally a key-press away.

However, this argument/debate has been retread many times and it is
unlikely to change in the official defaults as it is the preference of
the Blender devs (who have the final say on this, which is how things go
in "benevolent dictatorships"). On the other hand, the upcoming "Version
2.50" is apparently being engineered such that this is a "truly"
configurable option (the current left/right button switching is
not-consistent throughout the application). Provided the version is as
configurable in this regard as is widely expected, it will be a matter
for motivated individuals to create better access mechanisms (with
accompanying documentation), without requiring commit privileges on the
source code.

> I mean, it seems like it's just something you have to know
> when starting, and then you quickly get used to it.

Not really. It is a cognitive leap when moving between applications.
Take, for example, an artist working in Wings, Blender, & Gimp (a
scenario I am familiar with). wings & Gimp share a common left-click (&
optional drag) select paradigm whereas Blender is on it's own in that
regard. Given the universality of the "select" operation in pretty much
any workflow - it is something important to consider. Blender is only a
part in a professional pipeline; to improve workflow one must consider
at least the links in the chain immediately prior to and after Blender's
functionality is active.

I mention the above not to change people's minds (as I doubt I can do so
for those that have the reins on default functionality) but for
consideration when list readers get frustrated with the question
continually popping up. If Blender were a standalone workflow in & of
itself - it would matter much less.

> Maybe a welcome message like this could do wonders: "Welcome, this is
> Blender. Look, mouse selection works *the other way round*. And press
> space for a comprehensive menu. Have fun!"

Actually, I think there is several suggestions around an initial "walk
through" of functionality being made available for new users. It would
require a bit of work, but a beginners package with narrated screen
capture videos of a typical workflow would (in my mind) be an awesome
addition.

--
Regards,

Benjamin Tolputt
Analyst Programmer
Email: btolputt at bigpond.net.au

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the
intended recipient and may be privileged. If you have received this
email inadvertently or you are not the intended recipient, you may not
disseminate, distribute, copy or in any way rely on it. Further, you
should notify the sender immediately and delete the email from your
computer. Whilst we have taken precautions to alert us to the presence
of computer viruses, we cannot guarantee that this email and any files
transmitted with it are free from such viruses.