[Bf-funboard] 'The selected vertices form a concave quad' must die!

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Tue Apr 24 05:20:29 CEST 2007

Hi,

Would anyone in charge of mesh editing like to do me (and presumably
many others) a big favour and get rid of the infuriating "The selected
vertices form a concave quad" check and error message when using F to
make a face from 4 vertices? I've been doing lots of modelling today
and it's getting so incredibly annoying, especially when modelling
things like ears with lots of sharp angles in topology.

It's pointless, and feels like Blender is arrogantly saying "tut tut,
you shouldn't be doing that, naughty user!" when I'm quite certain
that I do want to make a quad in that shape, even if it's going to be
tweaked after. Regardless of what reasons there may have originally
been to go to the trouble of preventing this, checking in the F tool
isn't going to prevent anything, since you can (as I often do) just
smooth the points to satisfy the grumpy tool, then manually move the
verts back where you originally wanted them.

And even considering what issues there may be with concave faces (I
guess it's to prevent weird triangulation come render time), it's all
made irrelevant anyway when you're using subdivision surfaces, and the
concavity of the mesh cage's polys are irrelevant to that of the final
subdivided faces.

Please someone help save some of my hair, before its all pulled out!

cheers

Matt