[Bf-funboard] Re: Some skinning feature ideas

Tony Mullen tony.mullen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 08:24:44 CEST 2007

>  Actually, i believe the design is the problem, not the
> implementation.  forcing all weights per vertex to add up to 1 means
> that subtracting or smoothing weight... well it's got to go
> somewhere...  An intelligent application (not one those morons at
> Alias would write) would assign the weight to (guess what): _the
> adjacent frigging bone_.

I'm not talking about Maya, and I can't comment on the design of Maya.
 I'll take your word for it that it's bad, but I don't see that it has
anything to do with what I'm suggesting.  Neither of the two toggle
options I suggested would result in the kinds of problems you
describe.  I am simply proposing that there be an option to have
weight colors reflect the actual influence of a bone and an option to
assign actual weights directly (this latter would involve adjusting
other existing normalized weights on the same vertex accordingly,
which is trivial to calculate and has totally predictable results).

I think these options would make weight painting more straightforward
and give users more control.