[Bf-funboard] Re: Some skinning feature ideas

Tony Mullen tony.mullen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 09:15:57 CEST 2007

>* Introduce a Weight Paint view-mode toggle to switch between viewing
>the weights of the selected bone and viewing the weights of the whole
>armature.

What I'm talking about right now is just viewing the weight of one
bone, but viewing its actual (normalized) influence.  Saying this is
"viewing the weights of the whole armature" does not seem clearly
worded to me.

>If I have my brush set to 1 and I paint
>on some verts, I expect that the color will go all the way to red.  If
>it stops at yellow or at green, I tend to think that there's an error
>or I'm just not hitting that vertex enough.

If you have this option turned on, imagine this:  You're painting and
painting away with your brush at 1, everything's turning red.
Suddenly an area you're painting starts coming up green, and you know
that you've just hit the influence of another bone.  It's useful
information.  This would be turned off by default, but I know that I'd
have it turned on most of the time.

>On the other hand though, what I am proposing would not have it stop at
>"green" (~0.4 influence weight), but actually go all the way to red (1.0
>influence weight) with the other influences on that vertex falling to
>blue (0.0 influence weight).

My suggestion would make both of these things toggleable.  If you
turned on "Assign Absolute Weights" then painting 1 would paint 1 and
make other weights go to zero, if you turned it off (by default) then
painting 1 would paint the influence as it currently gets painted,
which is to say normalized with other influences, and the display
would show its true influence on the mesh.