shift-F4 and Append ideas Re: [Bf-funboard] good append

The Fallen Weeble bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:38:11 -0500

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:07:42PM +0100, ph wrote:
> So I vote for efficiency and consistency over standard OS compatibility.

Just to put my two cents into this conversation: I, for one, totally
agree with this.  If a component of blender (like, for instance, the
append feature) has a choice between being consistant with blender or
being consistant with the OS, I definitely vote for blender consistancy.
This is for two reasons.  1) To put it simply, the blender way is
smarter and faster and puts less physical strain on me.  Granted, there
is a cost of minor mental strain to initially learn the blender way, but
the dividends are worth it.  2) It's much easier, from a technical and
user-adjustment standpoint, to modify one piece of blender to match the
rest versus modifying all of blender to match the OS.

Tangentially, I also understand the desire for custom hotkeys and
what-not for the "everyone works differently" perspective.  However,
there are a few things about blender that I really enjoy (aside from
using it): 1) It's speed.  Blender is by far one of the (if not *the*)
most responsive and speedy modeling tools out there.  2) It's size.  Try
and find another app with blender's capabilities that's as small and
compact, I dare you.  3) I can comfortably use blender from any machine
that will run it without modification.  This is extremely helpful for
assisting newbs and running demos.  Allowing custom hotkeys will
(although maybe not drastically, in the case of 1 & 2) adversely affect
all of these advantages that blender has.  I just thought I'd throw that
in.  I probably shouldn't have...

Later.

  Fweeb