shift-F4 and Append ideas Re: [Bf-funboard] good append

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:49:23 +1000

Hi Peter,
You seem to still think that using the RMB to select items in Blender is
totally consistent with other areas in Blender.

But as far as I know, in other areas of Blender (besides the shift-F4
thing), when you select something with the RMB, the other items (vertices,
3D objects, keyframes, etc) become deselected. To select multiple items in
those other cases you use shift-RMB. And RMB-drag is used to move 3D
objects, vertices, keyframes, etc, rather than select multiple items.
In my recent "blender mouse buttons on William's site" email I talked about
how multiple items can be selected using LMB-drag (for files that would
basically model the Windows file browser, where you just LMB-drag starting
from an empty area and draw a rectangle)
http://www.blender.org/pipermail/bf-funboard/2004-January/001711.html
(Though the RMB doesn't work consistently I see it wouldn't be very hard to
work out how it does work in the append function)

BTW, what about in the open blender file window? You can select multiple
files using the RMB like in the append window, but the item you selected
with the LMB (shown in the textbox) is opened, even if it wasn't highlighted
using the RMB. It seems to ignore those files highlighted with the RMB. Are
you aware of the RMB having any use in the open file window?

>   Typing a new directory into the filepath in the Blender file browser is
> similar brilliant solution. Not as intuitive as the context menu or the
'new
> folder' button, but fast, efficient and a nice style.

I hasn't been aware of that function's existence but I agree that it is fast
and efficient...  if the RMB was reserved for a context menu as I suggested
then you could also create a new folder that way... and/or there could be a
"new folder" icon.

>   In Linux, you select with held LMB (like windows) and insert with MMB.
> That's it. No keystrokes at all ( : Just because they are not needed.

Some mice don't have 3 buttons though... that's why alt-RMB is the same as
MMB (I think) but thanks for that info anyway.
- Luke.