shift-F4 and Append ideas Re: [Bf-funboard] good append

ph bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:36:53 +0100

the fallen weeble wrote:

>>.  However,
there are a few things about blender that I really enjoy (aside from
using it): 1) It's speed.  Blender is by far one of the (if not *the*)
most responsive and speedy modeling tools out there.

Right. Blender is fast. It lacks some modelling tools and some techniques
yet, but the speed of the given tools is fast. This speed also depends on
the way Blender  d e m a n d s   to be used. Well, maybe better 'demanded'.

>>3) I can comfortably use blender from any machine
that will run it without modification.  This is extremely helpful for
assisting newbs and running demos.  Allowing custom hotkeys will
(although maybe not drastically, in the case of 1 & 2) adversely affect
all of these advantages that blender has.

  Blender's consistency holds the community quite a bit together. Apart from
the version, we all use the same Blender, no matter if Windows, Linux or
Mac. If a beginner asks us in the chat, we tell her/him the hotkey in
question by heart. Even the screenshots on the internet were system
independant and told me instantly: this is my favourite tool. This kind of
effect is very valuable in advertising. Kind of pattern repetition. At least
the visual consistency is not existent anymore.

  I am an individualist by nature (sort of extreme, believe me), so I can
understand to make things customizable, but the question is also: what
effect does it have on the community as a whole?

  I haven't checked that yet, but the rumors that I hear are that other
communities (max or maya) tend to be quite rude ()rtfm aso) to the beginner
while the Blender Community seems to be regarded as a friendly and
supporting one. I don't know if that's true. And I don't claim that to be
the major factor, but Blender DID support the 'community idea' through it's
uniform looks.

Peter Haehnlein