[Bf-funboard] Why not a new default scene

Ton Roosendaal bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:34:31 +0200

Hi,

> I was under the impression that this was the name...if
> not then why is the site called Blender3d? This creates a little bit of
> confusion for the user that is a little unecessary but I understand the
> problem with domain names; availability, appropiate suffix in terms of
> professionalism, etc.

Yep. We had blender.nl, but this was not 'international' enough.
Blender.com was already reserved for a magazine. From Kiernan we got
the domain blender3d.com as good alternative.
When the opensource became feasible, I preferred a .org domain for it.
The only close name available was openblender.org, which I reserved
immediately. Then I mailed the owners of blender3d.org and blender.org,
and to my big surprise they both donated to the domains to us!

I don't really mind when people call it the software 'blender 3d', you
just won't see it in the logo. I really believe in the subconscious
power of consequent branding guidelines. :)

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org