[Bf-funboard] Feature suggestion: Renderprocess

Nathan Allworth bf-funboard@blender.org
23 Jun 2003 09:46:35 -0700

On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 04:53, James Kaufeldt wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've switched to Cinema 4D XL8... However, Blender will always have a
> reserved space on my harddrive - so I figured I could keep adding some
> requests as a result of neat things found in C4D::..

Good to hear Blender is still on your HD :)

> The first thing I've noticed, which should be very easy to implement,
> is this:
>
> Upon hitting F12 to render, the rendering should run in a separately
> spawned process. There are several benefits - most notable are
>
> 1. Rendering doesn't block the entire app. You can keep working on the
> scene while the renderer executes.

Agreed, though some people don't use the render window, they render it
to the 3d wndow instead.
> 2. If the renderer crashes, your scenedata would still be safe in the
> main application which most likely is unaffected by the rendercrash.

Yeah, agreed. Rendering huge scenes for print is a pain because it
crashes alot on higher resolutions.