[Bf-funboard] Feature suggestion: Renderprocess

James Kaufeldt bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:53:22 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all!

I've switched to Cinema 4D XL8... However, Blender will always have a
reserved space on my harddrive - so I figured I could keep adding some
requests as a result of neat things found in C4D::..

The first thing I've noticed, which should be very easy to implement,
is this:

Upon hitting F12 to render, the rendering should run in a separately
spawned process. There are several benefits - most notable are

1. Rendering doesn't block the entire app. You can keep working on the
scene while the renderer executes.

2. If the renderer crashes, your scenedata would still be safe in the
main application which most likely is unaffected by the rendercrash.

Semi-advanced users can already make separate renderthreads using a
little Python and the background rendering option, but this should be
built-in, default and with visual feedback (renderwindow).

Have fun,
/Jamesk