[Bf-education] Migrating from 3D Studio Max to Blender, at what cost?

Roger Waggener rogerwaggener at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 20:40:11 CEST 2008

Hello- first time poster Roger Waggener here!

>  - How steep is the learning curve coming from 3D studio max and going to
> Blender

I have very little experience with Max, but what experience I do have
leads me to believe that Blender is easier and quicker to use for
modeling at least. Blender's UI takes a bit of getting used to, but
once you start to get the muscle memory for a few hot-keys, you will
get the hang of it and be impressed at the speed with which you can
perform modeling tasks.

Certainly. See http://blender-archi.tuxfamily.org/Main_Page for a start.

See here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Rendering_From_Command_Line

>  - Why would you advice to use Blender and why would you advise against it

Blender is powerful, free, and open source. Give it a try and see if
it's right for oyu