[Bf-education] Migrating from 3D Studio Max to Blender, at what cost?

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 20:37:18 CEST 2008

Hey Timothy!

I have written a good bit of the user manual, tutorials, training, support, and have used Blender professionally for 10 years or so.Converting is mostly just a process of terminology changes (self illuminating in Max is Shadeless n Blender) and UI changes (the controls for a lamp are both on panels, but just organized differently in each app). Blender has fewer controls and knobs to tweak than Max overall, but is very strong in mesh editing tools, and has an excellent UV unwrapper. Blender is well suited to large scenes, with an addressable resolution of 20000000 in all 3D axis. Currently, there is a BlenderNation article walkthru on using Blender for a Sci-Fi city scape. Future work is ongoing to add multi-resolution mesh generation and rendering, so progress and releases are always forthcoming.

Blender can use many different renderers, from yafray, indigo, and its internal called Blender Internal. BI is very fast, depending on the options you choose. Blender can render from a command line, and the BBB used a network of renderers. The advantage with Blender is that you can set up your own distributed render farm quite easily using a variety of machines AT NO COST. There is even BURP, which you could run internally. It would be easy to automatically kick off a render job when a .blend file was dropped into a directory. I rendered a commercial using the 8 PCs I have here.

As far as how Blender stacks up against other packages, see http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Competitive_Analysis

I recommend Blender, and am located in Atlanta if I can be of any assistance. For support, there is also the forums and chat rooms.
Roger
Sent by Roger Wickes for intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and contact Mr. Wickes immediately.

Atlantica Investments, Inc.
PO Box 680310, Marietta, GA 30068 USA