[Bf-docboard] trying to commit or land a diff

Aaron Carlisle carlisle.b3d at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 14:05:15 CEST 2018

This is a bit more complicated without "-m" you need to have a command line
editor setup
see http://help.collab.net/index.jsp?topic=/faq/editorcommandline.html

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 4:11 AM, Julian Darley <juliandarley at gmail.com>
wrote:

> re:
> [developer.blender.org] [Request, 2 lines] D3134: small syntactical fix
> https://developer.blender.org/D3134
>
> i have tried to figure out how to add this as a commit now that i have
> been added to the documentation project, but i think i have failed. i
> looked at the text on https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/about/
> contribute/patch_commit.html, but i cannot work how to get my diff into
> the svn (with which i am very unfamiliar).
>
> i tried the following:
>
> C:\blender_docs>svn update
> Updating '.':
> At revision 4202.
>
> C:\blender_docs>svn diff > filename.diff
>
> C:\blender_docs>svn commit
> svn: E205007: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: E205007: Could not use external editor to fetch log message; consider
> setting the $SVN_EDITOR environment variable or using the --message (-m) or
> --file (-F) options
> svn: E205007: None of the environment variables SVN_EDITOR, VISUAL or
> EDITOR are set, and no 'editor-cmd' run-time configuration option was found
>
> C:\blender_docs>
>
> i deliberately did not add a -m message as i was hoping that might trigger
> some useful instruction, but the above did not help me. i am not sure
> whether i really do need to set environment variables.
>
> instead of using the command line, i tried to use tortoisesvn. however, on
> this page (which may or may not be relevant), https://wiki.blender.org/
> index.php/Dev:Doc/Building_Blender/Windows/svn, i read this:
>
> Using TortoiseSVN
>
> *Under no circumstances* should you set the SVN repository for the
> C:\blender-git folder, because it could cause major conflicts with the
> git repository.
>
> which stopped me in my tracks. causing conflicts is exactly what i want to
> avoid. my tiny change is unlikely to do any damage, but i really would
> appreciate some accurate and comprehensive instructions on how to commit or
> 'land' my changes, ideally both from the command line and with tortoisesvn.
>
> thanks,
> julian

Aaron Carlisle

Project administrator for the Blender 3D Documentation Project
Email: carlisle.b3d at gmail.com
Website: https://blendify.github.io