[Bf-docboard] trying to commit or land a diff

Julian Darley juliandarley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 10:11:04 CEST 2018

re:
[developer.blender.org] [Request, 2 lines] D3134: small syntactical fix
https://developer.blender.org/D3134

i have tried to figure out how to add this as a commit now that i have
been added to the documentation project, but i think i have failed. i
looked at the text on
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/about/contribute/patch_commit.html,
but i cannot work how to get my diff into the svn (with which i am very
unfamiliar).

i tried the following:

    C:\blender_docs>svn update
    Updating '.':
    At revision 4202.

    C:\blender_docs>svn diff > filename.diff

    C:\blender_docs>svn commit
    svn: E205007: Commit failed (details follow):
    svn: E205007: Could not use external editor to fetch log message;
    consider setting the $SVN_EDITOR environment variable or using the
    --message (-m) or --file (-F) options
    svn: E205007: None of the environment variables SVN_EDITOR, VISUAL
    or EDITOR are set, and no 'editor-cmd' run-time configuration option
    was found

    C:\blender_docs>

i deliberately did not add a -m message as i was hoping that might
trigger some useful instruction, but the above did not help me. i am not
sure whether i really do need to set environment variables.

instead of using the command line, i tried to use tortoisesvn. however,
on this page (which may or may not be relevant),
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Building_Blender/Windows/svn,
i read this:

        Using TortoiseSVN

    *Under no circumstances*should you set the SVN repository for
    the|C:\blender-git|folder, because it could cause major conflicts
    with the git repository.

which stopped me in my tracks. causing conflicts is exactly what i want
to avoid. my tiny change is unlikely to do any damage, but i really
would appreciate some accurate and comprehensive instructions on how to
commit or 'land' my changes, ideally both from the command line and with
tortoisesvn.

thanks,
julian