[Bf-docboard] Blender Manual: Vision Statement

Tobias Heinke heinke.tobias at t-online.de
Fri Dec 15 20:39:02 CET 2017

Hello Ton,

But it's like removing the tooltips and then declare everyone has to
know B. before using it.
Less work to write tooltips frees time for more bug fixing, thus results
in a better user experience - right?
Not finding something in the manual is like when B. crashes or a missing
feature. That bad, but what should count is the average UX.

I'm not happy with the new rigging page: Lists are super unpleasant to
read and it's an overview - summaries of subpages (see previous mail -
other thread).
Especially the 'mixed editors' chapters need a proper intro.
I agree that some of the intros are not in good shape, but that's not a
bigger problem than with any other kind of doc:
References are less free and fixing issues there has simply a higher
priority.
e.g. the examples at the Math Node
<https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/compositing/types/converter/math.html#examples>
and the Mix Node
<https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/compositing/types/color/mix.html#examples>.
I agree that lengthy intros should be made more condense.
But the methodology should be just lowering the priority and "fade it
out"/discontinuing it by not creating any new ones.
And clearly not to plainly deleting them - like tearing down a half
build building.

I don't know what should be more fundamental in animation than keyframes.
And I don't get why it may be confusing. The definition of a keyframe as
a point in time linked to a (discreet) value
might be overly wide, but it's correct and it's also called that way in
the UI.
The curve defines the interpolation between the keyframes mathematically
represented as curve points.
Accordingly the points in the Dope Sheet are keyframes.

With the "designer" view point you mean programmer (software designer) I
guess.
If you're generally tech interested it might be suited, but not for artists.
Or do you mean functional descriptions 'hit the button this will happen'.
But that's only one of several types of doc with it's advantages and
disadvantages.
The latter have to be addressed by applying other types that serve better.
It's the task of a user manual to explain how to use something without
having to struggle with the "inner workings".

Blender in context of CG vs. Blender's quirks ;)
There is no B. specific big picture, but common CS/CG methods.
The latter is not how good doc works. It should start with the familiar
(or fill it in), then add details and point out differences.

CG has such a wide range of disciplines there isn't a single knowledge base.
e.g. if one just does modeling plus 3D printing and not animation.
Then there arises the problem what is considered basic, this will lead
to troublesome inconsistencies.

This would have serious consequences and thus have to be handled with care:

We shouldn't forget who the audience is and who is willing to write it.
Ultimately the manual will turn from a primary source into a secondary
source:
Blogs and video tutorials, etc. which then transfer it into user
friendly content.
The result will be a step to pure reference and will turn out bone dry
and boring to read/write.

Regards,
Tobias