[Bf-docboard] Propsal: fundamentals, citation

Tobias Heinke heinke.tobias at t-online.de
Tue May 24 17:02:04 CEST 2016

Hello,

While working on Fundamentals I noticed, that it is an encyclopedia I'm
writing:
A structured glossary with definitions:

     Rendering:
     "[The] process of synthesizing an image from a given scene
description is called rendering" [Geor15].

So why not replace the a-z sorted glossary with Funda.

Technically this is a decentralization of the glossary.  A small
glossary for nearly each of the therms.

     Headline

     .. glossary::
       term
         definition

     additional text about "term"

With the benefit that content could be added, that is not fitting the
strict formalism of a definition.
i. e. definitions for beginners, that might me not as precise.

But it could also be used so to move content out of the manual, to
separate of Blender specific and 'universal' content.
It based on the opinion, that you need a "operational" knowledge - i.e
know what a mesh is.

In the same way, I want to move Blender specific terms like "modifier",
"lattice" from the central glossary into the manual (introduction pages).

demo:
http://blender-manual.readthedocs.io/en/testing/fundamentals/index.html

Starting point for Funda:

- minimal one definition per paragraph
- all terms of the current glossary covered
- mostly static structure

If that run against the "community's vision" of the manual - please
discuss this with me.

Tobias

[Geor15] Iliyan Georgiev, 2015, Path Sampling Techniques for Efficient
Light Transport Simulation;
         PhD thesis, Saarland University, Saarbrücken, Germany.