[Bf-docboard] License for docs

reiner.prokein reiner.prokein at posteo.de
Sat Jun 25 18:31:16 CEST 2016

Hi Tobias,

> "... the content of the Blender Manual is available under a [CC-BY-SA
> 4.0] License"
> is not a my interpretation, it's a (valid) fact.

It might be a fact, and you might even see it as valid. And i even
believe you that you think you are right. But a fact can also be
illegal. And with all respect, that you simply unasked put the manual
under a new license is the exact opposite of legal, that's the illegal
way. The only valid legal way of relicensing would be to ask everybody
involved if he / she agrees to the move. And one missing or negative
voice is enough to stop it already. That's the way it is with open
source licensing. And this did not happen.

Yes, you could even get away with it. But think of it this way. When
even you don't respect your own licensing, why should somebody else
respect your licensing then?

Blender heavily insists on licensing issues when others are affected.
But when Blender is affected in an uncomfortable way by its own
licensing, then the same licensing rules should not be true anymore? And
you simply change the license, in hope that everybody is quiet? Again,
you need the explicit permission of everybody involved for a license change.

For me the relicensing of the manual stays an illegal move until you
have the permission of everybody involved. And this means as a
consequence that i have to rely at the last legal licensing as long as
this permission is missing. It's really as easy as this.

 > If you are a member of the Blender developers, you could propose a
license change (GPL > MIT).

It was just an example to prove my point. But it would be the same game
as with the manual. You would need the explicit permission of everybody
involved. And this is not longer possible since you cannot reach
everybody involved anymore. Some are retired and unreachable, some may
have even died meanwhile. And that's why Blender will stay under GPL.

Mh. I have the feeling that we are trapped in a yes it is / no it is not
kind of discussion. So i would say let's stop this part. We both have
made our points. Maybe somebody else has the one or another thought to
the issue.

Kind regards

Reiner