[Bf-docboard] restructuring the Getting Started -> Interface section

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 12:25:07 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 10:10 PM, Greg Zaal <gregzzmail at gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding the name for the part of the screen in which an editor lives - I
> think the correct term is actually "Area": right click the border of an
> editor and see "Area Options >Split Area/Join Area"; see the tooltip for the
> button to switch areas "Current editor type for this area: 3D View". Also
> the python access is 'bpy.context.screen.areas[x]' where 'x' is the index
> for an area (e.g. for default screen layout, index of 5 is the 3D View).
>
> As for your proposed structure and moving/deleting things, looks good to me!
> Only thing that bugs me is that Scenes are a pretty fundamental aspect of
> blender and maybe shouldn't be hidden inside the interface section, though
> I'm not sure what a better place could be.
>
> On 28 January 2015 at 12:16, Gaia <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi;
>>
>> I have been looking into the chapter
>>
>>      Getting Started - Basics - Interface
>>
>> This chapter contains a lot of information which
>> i believe is not exactly about the Interface but more
>> about how to use some parts of Blender.
>>
>> Based on the assumption that this chapter should
>> be about how the interface works in general
>> i propose to cut down the current structure and move
>> some documents to other places (or even delete some).
>>
>> Besides that i would like to know how to name
>> the part of the screen in which an Editor lives.
>> In the docs i find all of this:
>>
>> "Editor", "Window", "Window Frame", "Frame"
>>
>> It is not even clear to me if this means the same
>> thing in the documents or slightly different things.
>>
>> I have chosen "Frame" as a placeholder
>> for now:
>>
>> definition: Frame is a rectangular area on the
>> Blender window which hosts an Editor.
>>
>> ###############################################
>>    Proposed structure for the Interface chapter
>> ###############################################
>>
>> # Interface
>>    - Elements
>>      . principles      (done)
>>      . Screen elements (done)
>>      . Screen Layouts
>>      . Editors         (done)
>>      . Sidebars        (done)
>>      . Header          (done)
>>      . Main region     (done)
>>      . Headers
>>        - hide/show
>>        - collapse/expand Header menus
>>        - navigate
>>      . Panels          (done)
>>      . Tabs            (done)
>>      . Pinning         (done)
>>      . Data Input
>>        - Sliders
>>        - alphanumeric input
>>          Expressions
>>          Units
>>        - Color Pickers (not sure)
>>        - Eye Dropper (not sure)
>>        - Color Ramps (not sure)
>>        - Curve Widget(not sure)
>>
>>    - Input Devices
>>      . Supported devices
>>      . Recommended configuration
>>
>>    - Blender Frame System
>>      . Frames
> [...]

All seems fine with possible exception of `Data Input` for sliders, buttons...

These were split up into 2 sections on purpose, since curves,
colorbands etc - are really small editors themselves (have their own
keybindings and selection).

And name 'Data Input' is a bit odd (its really IO :) ), but we could
just name buttons or widgets?

--
- Campbell