[Bf-docboard] Moved manual from Git to Subversion

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 05:46:33 CET 2015

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, just a heads up to say we've moved from to Subversion for the manual.
>
> Rationale:
> - Better handling of binary files (with GIT everyone would have a full
> history of all images _ever_ used).
> - Easier to use for writers, (no need for SSH keys - username and
> password from Phabricator are enough).
>
> Note that git has many benifits and for Software development I'd much
> prefer it, but we really can't overlook the issue with image storage.
> We could have worked around it somehow, (using some external storage)
> - but such a solution would make it even more complicated to setup, so
> I'd rather keep it simple where possible.
>
> Added
> https://developer.blender.org/T43193

Sorry, sent early (tsk, Ctrl+Enter by accident sends on gmail)

Added this ticket since there are still referencs to GIT on some
pages. But the main project page does give the command to checkout
from SVN.
https://developer.blender.org/T43193

See: https://developer.blender.org/tag/documentation/

Since Greg has done a fairly large re-structure of the manual and
we've settled on revision control -
things should settle down a bit now and we can better help writers get involved.