[Bf-docboard] Proposal for restructuring the user manual

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 00:12:21 CET 2015

looks good! some comments inline.

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 10:28 PM, Greg Zaal <gregzzmail at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, so at the moment this is how the structure looks (with some notes of
> mine below it):
>
> - Getting Started
>    - Introduction
>    - Installation
>    - Basics
>       - Interface
>       - Navigation
>       - Help System
> - Editors (reference for functions in each editor not covered in other
> sections - e.g. layers, outliner usage...)
> - Data System (data blocks, scenes, link/append...)
> - Modeling
>    - Sculpting
> - Physics (particles, smoke, forces...)
> - Modifiers
> - Rigging
>    - Constraints
> - Animation
> - Rendering
>    - Blender Render
>       - Materials
>       - Textures
>       - Lighting
>       - World
>    - Cycles
>       - Materials
>       - Lighting
>       - World
> - Compositing
> - Motion Tracking
> - Video Editing
> - Grease Pencil
> - Game Engine
> - Extending Blender
> - User Preferences
> - Troubleshooting
> - Glossary
>
> (raw - in case you want to edit it)
>
> Notes:
>
> No need to classify things as '2D' - each of those topics could be
> considered 3D by at least some stretch of your imagination anyway (depth
> channels, deep compositing...)
> The "Getting Started" section should be as simple and brief as possible.
> Troubleshooting is it's own thing that shouldn't be needed to start using
> Blender. Same for: Render Engines, User Preferences, Data System, Game
> Engine, Extending Blender - all important info, but you don't *have* to know
> any of that to start using Blender.

Troubleshooting is useful for developers to add to, we often get bug
reports highlighting common misunderstandings & then dont really have
a good place to collect problem->solutions.

This would be handy to link users to from the bug tracker, and link
from within the docs (like having a glossary of common problems).

> As mentioned in my previous mail, Materials/Lighting/Textures/World have
> been moved under Rendering, since those all change based on which engine is
> used.
> Constraints are under Rigging - I think of constraints as a tool for
> rigging, but this is just my opinion.

Its an approximation, but reasonable IMHO. for example you may *rig* a
camera, so constraints are generally useful for rigging on an object
level. even when armatures arent being used.

> Should Import/Export be its own topic? Or under Data System or Extending
> Blender?

Addons have their own wiki pages, eg:
- http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Autodesk_FBX
- http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Wavefront_OBJ

We *could* have an import/export section, but it can be more general
information, and link to the pages for each addon to avoid documenting
a lot of details, no rush for this though, we have enough work getting
the existing manual in shape.

- Campbell