[Bf-docboard] Proposal for restructuring the user manual

Greg Zaal gregzzmail at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 12:28:07 CET 2015

Ok, so at the moment this is how the structure looks (with some notes of
mine below it):

- Getting Started
   - Introduction
   - Installation
   - Basics
      - Interface
      - Navigation
      - Help System
- Editors (reference for functions in each editor not covered in other
sections - e.g. layers, outliner usage...)
- Data System (data blocks, scenes, link/append...)
- Modeling
   - Sculpting
- Physics (particles, smoke, forces...)
- Modifiers
- Rigging
   - Constraints
- Animation
- Rendering
   - Blender Render
      - Materials
      - Textures
      - Lighting
      - World
   - Cycles
      - Materials
      - Lighting
      - World
- Compositing
- Motion Tracking
- Video Editing
- Grease Pencil
- Game Engine
- Extending Blender
- User Preferences
- Troubleshooting
- Glossary

(raw <http://upl.io/view/nhporj/proposal.rst> - in case you want to edit it)

*Notes:*

   - No need to classify things as '2D' - each of those topics could be
   considered 3D by at least some stretch of your imagination anyway (depth
   channels, deep compositing...)
   - The "Getting Started" section should be as simple and brief as
   possible. Troubleshooting is it's own thing that shouldn't be needed to
   start using Blender. Same for: Render Engines, User Preferences, Data
   System, Game Engine, Extending Blender - all important info, but you don't
   *have* to know any of that to start using Blender.
   - As mentioned in my previous mail, Materials/Lighting/Textures/World
   have been moved under Rendering, since those all change based on which
   engine is used.
   - Constraints are under Rigging - I think of constraints as a tool for
   rigging, but this is just my opinion.
   - Should Import/Export be its own topic? Or under Data System or
   Extending Blender?

Cheers,
Greg