[Bf-docboard] Page Updates - mesh editing; also mesh editing section thoughts

Jared Reisweber jaredr122 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 10:05:09 CET 2012

Hello, I've decided to return to help work on the wiki. (I'll try not to
screw it up this time). It would be great to see it get finished next year.
I've updated a bunch of mesh editing pages to reflect 2.6 and added some
images:
 basic editing, smooth, noise, shrink/fatten, vertex editing, mirror
editing, face editing, mirror, edge editing, knife tool, bevel (most of
these were empty).
There's a bit more work todo on some of these pages.
It's kind of alarming to see how many page views some of these empty pages
have...

I'd like to try to help update the pages to reflect all the 2.6 mesh
editing features, however I think the organization of this section may need
some reworking in the future (irrelevant pages, missing pages, etc.).
Currently the pages in this section are the same as the 2.4 manual, but
many new tools have been added.
Right now, there are some sections for individual mesh tools, however only
a portion of them. If mesh tools are going to have their own page, I would
think all of them should probably have their own page, except for very
similar tools, e.g. fill/beauty fill. However, I'm not positive that many
of the mesh tools are significant enough to have their own page, though
there should be some consistency. There may be some redundancy with some of
the existing pages, for example, Vertex/Edge/Face Editing, where some tools
on those pages are not exclusive to vertices/edges/faces.

Pages that should probably be removed from index, as they are now options
in other tools:
Spin dup, Subdivide fractal, subdivide smooth, Extrude dup(extinct?)
New tools I'm not sure where to put:
Vertex connect, wireframe, inset, unsubdivide

 Anyways, here is an
outline<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jYTZoT3l263fp36mbp8NAPK_sKgeJIMmacd0KOsHA18/edit>of
all the existing core mesh tools arranged by roughly by category (red
text indicates tools not yet documented). I did want to put out the
possibility of having page links go to sections of pages, maybe. This would
allow all the tools to be exposed on the index page, but not have to have
so many small individual pages. Just a thought.

In the meantime, I will continue to help update this section as best I can.

Regarding page formatting, I keep seeing pages for things where there is a
single =section1=, and all other sections are ==section2== and
===section3=== under the first section. It's visually very hard to tell the
difference between a section2 and a section3. Is there a standard for how
sections in pages should work? It would be nice if there was a better way
of differentiating between section2/section3 and so on, like an indent, or
something. According to the mediawiki docs, there should only be one
section1, but I find that it makes pages difficult to read.