[Bf-docboard] Page Update (Doc:2.6/Manual/Introduction/Installing Blender/Linux)

Fade fade_docboard_blender at ymail.com
Wed Dec 19 21:34:46 CET 2012

It's not the amount of text added to this particular page, it's about
ensuring that information is added consistently and cleanly throughout
the wiki. I'm more interested in having an easy to follow standard than
anything else since adding in bits and pieces leads to more questions
and work. e.g.

- If someone includes the specific info from this page somewhere else in
the wiki, will we know to update it when it changes (see below Gnome
3.4-->3.6)?
- Why are the instructions for Ubuntu 11 based on the GUI, but Ubuntu 12
are based on the CLI? Is it because Gnome is different?
- If so, shouldn't we be listing Gnome or Window manager versions rather
than distro versions?
- Are the instructions for Ubuntu 11 correct if a user has upgraded
their version of Gnome?
- Since some distros offer mutiple versions of the same DE/WM, which one
do we provide info for?

Most distros that I know of are sitting somewhere around Gnome 3.4-3.6.
Oddly enough, in 3.4, ALT+Click is the default for moving windows, while
Super+Click is the default in 3.6.

Plus there are distros are still offering Gnome 2 in their repositories
since Gnome 3 hasn't been terribly popular. There is also the Cinnamon
fork of Gnome that is packaged for a number of distros (e.g. Mint,
openSuse etc). Mint looks like it will, if it hasn't already surpass
Ubuntu as the most popular distro. Will there be instructions for it as
will? I doubt that new linux users will know that Cinnamonn is a fork of
Gnome.

Having said all that, I'm not completely against mentioning the issues,
but I think it will save us work if we either address it generically
(e.g there's an issue, consult the relevant docs which can be found at
this link etc) or through Kesten's ideas. After all, it's hard enough
keeping up with and documenting the changes to Blender let alone other
software as well. ;-)

Cheers
Fade