[Bf-docboard] Page Update (Doc:2.6/Manual/Introduction/Installing Blender/Linux)

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 07:34:43 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 1:34 AM, Kesten Broughton
<solarmobiletrailers at gmail.com> wrote:
> it does seem inelegant to have os and windowmanager specific stuff sprinkled
> throughout the wiki.
> However, it's very frustrating when an instruction set doesn't work with
> your flavor distro.
>
> What about having a "platform specific issues" section and then general wiki
> pages could link with "there are some __platform_specific_issues__".
>
> The platform/wm specific section could be organized by major section and
> would hopefully but mostly empty.
>
> Another option would be to direct the reader to the Discussion tab for the
> given page, where less formal, less maintained, but still useful material
> could be tossed around.

I think these are good ideas but the reality is that we are talking
about 6 sentences. It is not like every distro has different problems
unless we are talking about compiling.All the distros are the same
once you have Blender installed. The windows managers are the only
thing that really changes much and with these we only have about 4
really popular ones with most of the problems coming from the distros
made for newbies and that again mostly means Gnome or maybe KDE. It
seems like like a big fuss for very few lines. I think the current
page is good.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!