[Bf-docboard] Search Engine Optimization: "Experts" Team + Basic todos

mindrones mindrones at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 02:39:20 CET 2011

Hi,

On 11/05/2011 06:01 PM, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:

> From what I understand, ranking of a page is still mostly determined
> by websites linking to them. There are many websites linking to the
> old documentation, and on the one hand it's ok that they are permanent
> links to a particular version, but on the other hand this means that
> even now that the 2.5 release cycle is finished, the 2.4 documentation
> still ranks higher.
>
> The only possible solutions I can think of would be to make Doc:Manual
> the 2.6 manual (brings its own set of issues), and to not let google
> index the 2.4 manual (would hurt overall ranking?). Hopefully there's
> another solution that I don't know of...

I think that solution is giving a lower priority to 2.4 pages:
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=71936#prioritize

Just found it. SEO is currently not our first priority, but good to know.

Later on using robots.txt we can completely remove 2.4 manual from
crawling, but not now.

Regards,
Luca