[Bf-docboard] Search Engine Optimization: "Experts" Team + Basic todos

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sat Nov 5 18:01:06 CET 2011

Hi,

Regarding SEO, I think we're actually doing very well in terms of
ranking, wiki links come up high in search results even without
including blender in the search terms. The problem for me is mostly
that the pages that come up are often links to old documentation.

>From what I understand, ranking of a page is still mostly determined
by websites linking to them. There are many websites linking to the
old documentation, and on the one hand it's ok that they are permanent
links to a particular version, but on the other hand this means that
even now that the 2.5 release cycle is finished, the 2.4 documentation
still ranks higher.

The only possible solutions I can think of would be to make Doc:Manual
the 2.6 manual (brings its own set of issues), and to not let google
index the 2.4 manual (would hurt overall ranking?). Hopefully there's
another solution that I don't know of...

> On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 10:10 AM, mindrones <mindrones at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How to find the correct keywords for each manual page?
>> These can be applied later using an extension
>> This can be done manually or with some tool
>> I have some ideas how to do this, but would be nice to discuss it.

Google does not use meta keywords at all, so may not be worth the effort?
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/09/google-does-not-use-keywords-meta-tag.html

Brecht.