[Bf-docboard] A reason for the quietness on bf-docboard.

Jean Montambeault blenderized at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 21 19:31:43 CEST 2008

To those who read this board ans wonder if there is anything ever
documented on Blender.

I just read the log of the last Coder's Sunday Meeting where PapaSmurf
did a brave if desperate effort to instill some coherence and some
collaboration to document the new features of the very much improved
BGE. Like Ton said himself, the documentation effort is too scattered.
This is the reason for the quietness here : it happens everywhere else.
We write on the Wiki.
The devs get some release notes ready, which are little more than candy,
rarely sufficient to interface with the user, although there are
exceptions of note.
They also speak of their projects on their corner of the Wiki for
developers and it is, sometimes and interesting read for the user but
this is rather inaccessible due to the technical language used and the
incompleteness of the information.
The GSoCers this year have been remarkably apt at documenting their work
: hopefully a source of inspiration for others.
There are blogs (Broken, Farsthary, Harkyman...) which are the most
explicit next to...
...open threads on BA. Not every devs likes to rub elbows with the
users, for some pretty good reasons IMHO, yet there are the brave ones
(UncleZeiv, Farsthary, Jahka...) that will open such threads and in
there one can find every detail that one wish or ask for whatever is
missing.
There is a mailing list: bf-cvs-blender where every commit is echoed.
The dev is supposed to described what his code do. There are those who
excel at it (Ton, Benoit Bolsee, Josuah Leung...) and those who'd rather
speak in tongues.
So, if you intend to write in the wiki there are your sources with
possibly one more : contact the dev. That is what I did with Theeth who
dwell in highly esoteric spheres but can make even the total layman that
I am understand what he's doing, with patience and elegance.

There, it's off my chest at least and in the records.

Jean