[Bf-docboard] Homeless documents and Manual structure

malefico andauer the3d_hut at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Nov 3 19:26:51 CET 2005

Hi , thanks for your long response !

 --- Ewout <chocolade at extrapuur.nl> escribió:
> 1. Homeless documents: Stefano prepared the
> structure before we
> converted most of it. Because he is the structure
> owner, I asked him to
> see where these would fit best. IMO, it should be
> just before the
> lattice animation part, BUT it is much too tutorial
> like! The most
> important function of the manual is to explain how
> things work -> the
> next version will be much more like a reference
> guide. The solid &
> hollow glass part should move to the tutorial
> section, because it
> doesn't explain any functionality.

Right, it makes sense

> 2. Yafray: this one is tricky because a lot of this
> stuff is heavily
> outdated, dealing with yable etc. It is also way to
> big to fit in the
> "Rendering" section, the subsection "Yafray" over
> there should explain
> basic things about Yafray -- if it should be there
> at all! I think a
> full fledged Yafray section would be more
> appropriate!

Well, besides the Yable part which is a separate
chapter in docbook too, I think that the current
documents which are in the docbook format are not so
outdated anyway. Yes, probably a separate section/Part
would be more apropiate.
Let's wait till Stefano comments on this then.

> gonna do the restructuring, a lot of the translated
> work is gonna have
> to do the same thing, and I can tell you that's a
> hell of a job...

Believe me I know ;-)

> the basic plan is:
> * Make quick start bigger/more complete
> * Remove tutorials from manual and decrease until
> it's a more dry
> reference (much more useful and easier updating)
>  >> these two things will be what the old manual was
> before.
>
> then, to make up for the lack of tuts in the
> reference guide
> * Make additional thematic manuals, with tutorials
> covering specific
> areas - this is where tutorials are at their best!
> * Make people aware of the enormous amount of
> thematic tuts in the
> blenderwiki

Sounds like a good plan to me too.

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta/Restructuring_the_Manual