[Bf-docboard] Error in documentation? Friction (softbodies)

Olivier SARAJA (Linuxgraphic) olivier.saraja at linuxgraphic.org
Thu Aug 25 19:59:45 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I disagree with the definition of the Friction number button in the softbody
interface (Objects (F7), Softbody tab) in the Chapter 23. Currently, the
documentation reads :

"Friction - Sets the amount of friction the object has. A high value means
that forces, for example Gravity or Wind, have easier to grab hold of the
object and move it."

According to my understantding, friction is to be compared to damping of the
global movement of the softbody, as if the air offered some resistance to its
movement. Consequently, a high value (air resistance active) means that an
object falls more slowly than with a low value (no air resistance, so fall is
quicker).

I made some experiments (a jelly cube, Mass 1.00, Gravity 9.81, falling from a
distance of 20 blender units on a horizontal plane (the ground). With a
Friction of 1.00, the Cube reaches the floor within around 70 frames. With a
Friction of 0.00, it reaches the floor within 60 frames only.

So I'd propose the following definition for this item:

"Friction - Sets the amount of resistance to movement the objects faces. A
high value means that the object will respond more slowly to forces such as
Gravity, but also the various Fields: Wind, Force and Vortex."

As usual, I don't have the knacks for CVS and DocBook, so I hope someone will
take in charge the modification (if you agree with my point of view,
obviously).

Cheers,
--
Olivier SARAJA