[Bf-docboard] software tools

Craig Sanders bf-docboard@blender.org
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:24:21 -0800

I wholeheartedly agree. I was very much mistaken in assuming that we need to
"modernize" to "professional" writing tools. There are a wealth of tools
available - am looking for one to learn now. Any suggestions as to what I
should look for?

Craig

-----Original Message-----
From: bf-docboard-admin@blender.org
[mailto:bf-docboard-admin@blender.org]On Behalf Of Luke Stodola
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 10:23 AM
To: bf-docboard@blender.org
Subject: [Bf-docboard] software tools

Quick introduction: I'm a relative beginner to Blender and a native English
speaker.  I joined the list a while ago to repport a type, but realized it
had already been fixed in the CVS version.  (OT: Can the version on the
website _please_ stay a little more up to date with the devel. version in
the future?) I'd be happy to proofread any documentation or tutorials.

I'd _strongly_ suggest sticking with free software tools.

As others have said, DocBook is certainly powerfull enough (so far).  What
about sticking with DocBook but using more advanced tools than just vi or
emacs?

You might want to look into the conglomerate xml editor
(http://www.conglomerate.org, debian package "conglomerate") to used
instead of emacs.  Also, the Passepartout program may be useful (at some
future date?) to lay out the printed version
(http://www.stacken.kth.se/project/pptout/); I have never used this
myself, just stumbled upon it.  Maybe someone with more experience in page
layout can comment on passepartout's features?

Finally, if you're considering MS-Word, consider OpenOffice as well and see
if it fits the bill.

Luke Stodola