[Bf-docboard] software tools

Luke Stodola bf-docboard@blender.org
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:23:07 -0500

Quick introduction: I'm a relative beginner to Blender and a native English speaker.  I joined the list a while ago to repport a type, but realized it had already been fixed in the CVS version.  (OT: Can the version on the website _please_ stay a little more up to date with the devel. version in the future?) I'd be happy to proofread any documentation or tutorials.

I'd _strongly_ suggest sticking with free software tools.

As others have said, DocBook is certainly powerfull enough (so far).  What about sticking with DocBook but using more advanced tools than just vi or emacs?

You might want to look into the conglomerate xml editor
(http://www.conglomerate.org, debian package "conglomerate") to used
instead of emacs.  Also, the Passepartout program may be useful (at some
future date?) to lay out the printed version
(http://www.stacken.kth.se/project/pptout/); I have never used this
myself, just stumbled upon it.  Maybe someone with more experience in page layout can comment on passepartout's features?

Finally, if you're considering MS-Word, consider OpenOffice as well and see if it fits the bill.

Luke Stodola