[Bf-docboard] additional benefit

Craig Sanders bf-docboard@blender.org
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:38:50 -0800

Okay - I confess to having spoken before I did my homework.

First, it seems DocBook is a perfectly acceptable tool for producing raw
documentation.
Second, there are assorted software tools that permit all the fancy tech
writing stuff; that is, indexes, TOCs, even help files.
Third, using Tex and LaTex it is possible to produce outstanding typeset
documents.
Fourth, all of these tools are free.
Fifth, many of them are already in use by this group.
Sixth, I can always use a new skill.
Seventh, crow is best eaten warm.

Craig

-----Original Message-----
From: bf-docboard-admin@blender.org
[mailto:bf-docboard-admin@blender.org]On Behalf Of Martin Middleton
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 12:25 PM
To: bf-docboard@blender.org
Subject: Re: [Bf-docboard] additional benefit

DocBook definitely supports index generation and has support for arbitrary
lists of secondary and tertiary elements as well as "See" and "SeeAlso"
elements.

While I never got around to completing the chapter on setting up various
environments for DocBook (for an Appendix in the Blender Guide) I can say
that support for doing this exists on pretty much every platform (including
Windows). Once the Guide is unfrozen, I'll finish putting together doc for
an Appendix  explaining how to do this on multiple platforms.

BTW, while there are commercial solutions, I've only been looking into Open
Source, or otherwise free solutions to working with DocBook.