[Bf-docboard] Feature suggestion: integrated manual

Ton Roosendaal bf-docboard@blender.org
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:28:10 +0200

Hi,

> Not sure if Ton is on this list or not, and or if this is the "right"
> place
> for this but anyway...

This used to be a nice quiet mailing list. Time to find a new hideout!
:)

> I think that all the people looking for info about blender or at least
> a lot of them tend to goto http://www.blender.org
> Anyway to cut to the chase, maybe we should move the content on
> www.blender3d.org to www.blender.org and move the current developer
> stuff
> to www.blender3d.org and or something new like blender.developer.org
> Or alternately we just need to get a big push for everyone telling
> them the site for blender is www.blender3d.org period...

At the time (last year) it was difficult to anticipate on how Blender
will develop. When circumstances change, we should not be too
conservative and change sites as well.
Right now, I think we can best stick with the current structure. This
based at what the current site volunteers can do, and what the actual
product development (code, docs) offers. Everyone is very enthusiast
right now, that's wonderful, but we shouldn't overshoot too much with
pretentions & projects we cannot make true.

Currently only Matt has shown commitment to actively work at
www.blender3d.org. I would welcome more volunteers for it (as already
being discussed here, great!). We then might be able just with a few
simple design decisions to communicate the sites right.

- put www.blender3d.org in splash screen, and the blender top header
- add a 'block' at frontpage of www.blender.org to advertise the '3d'
site (with news, and/or 3d image)

And make sure that 3rd party sites (community, 3d sites) link to the
correct Blender site.

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org