[Bf-docboard] Correction for Lighting chapter

instinctive new media bf-docboard@blender.org
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:13:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The bias value represents a distance, from which a gradual transition
> is calculated between 100% shadow and 100% light. Especially with
> low-res shadow-buffers you can see that faces tend to be in its own
> shadow a bit - typically visible as 'rings' or 'banding' - this
> inaccuracy then can be solved by increasing the bias value.

Hi Ton,

well, I've personally used the bias value with numbers < 1 to
correct shadows being too far away from the object! With a
broad ClipSta/ClipEnd range (necessary for animated spotlights
following an object through a large concert hall), the shadow
has often been too far away from the object, so it seemed
"floating" above the floor, even with shadowbuffer sizes of
8192x8192. Setting the Bias value to 0.5 corrects it.

> (intrr: your spam filter still refuses mail from me!)

OK, I had to remove chello.nl too! :D Sorry.