[Bf-docboard] Correction for Lighting chapter

Ton Roosendaal bf-docboard@blender.org
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:44:55 +0200

Hi,

The bias value represents a distance, from which a gradual transition
is calculated between 100% shadow and 100% light. Especially with
low-res shadow-buffers you can see that faces tend to be in its own
shadow a bit - typically visible as 'rings' or 'banding' - this
inaccuracy then can be solved by increasing the bias value.

BTW:
What someone could try is introducing an exta 'offset' value, which is
added before calculating bias... hrms, this offset can even be
calculated automatically with the pixel size of a shadowbuffer...
(640x640 buffer: offset= z-depth/640). hrms...

(intrr: your spam filter still refuses mail from me!)

-Ton-