[Bf-docboard] chapter_mesh_modelling

Felix Rabe bf-docboard@blender.org
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 15:55:00 +0100

Bart Veldhuizen wrote:
> I guess you're right about that. In any case, did you notice Ton's post
> about a publisher being interested in 'the Blender Bible'? They want to
> publish the manual that we are working on. Since we are working under an
> open license, they would also be required to send their edits and
> improvements back to us.

I cannot help it, but I already have some additional questions regarding
the documentation licenses:

- Is the Blender Artistic License qualifying as GPL-compatible or not?

(I cannot seem to find out which artistic license you derived it from -
there are several, and the original one is criticized by the FSF - see
http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html#ArtisticLicense .)

- Since the OCL states "you may not charge a fee for the OC itself",
what do you intend to do if someone should like to object to the sale of
a book version of the manual?  In my eyes it still means the publisher
would be unable to profit in any way by selling the books - the
publisher could _only_ charge for the physical cost of producing the
book, not even including any cost for advertisement.

Is there any chance that these two licenses both are ever changed to be
GPL-compatible?  (I.e., is anybody willing to investigate this somewhat,
starting from the FSF license list and looking for good and equivalent
replacements?)

cu & happy new year (to those that already have it :) )
Felix