[Bf-cycles] Build without OpenImageIO

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Mon Mar 5 13:37:33 CET 2018

Hi Guillaume,

Nice work!

Making Cycles use of OpenImageIO optional is fine with me, we could have
that upstream.

Be aware that we use it for a bit more than just loading images. We also
use some of its utilities for handling paths, unique strings, argument
parsing, etc. Those could be replaced and I think that could be good in the
interest of making core Cycles easier to build, but it's not trivial.

Alternatively you keep use the OpenImageIO_Util library that is part of
OpenImageIO. It is much smaller and includes just these utilities, so you'd
only have to make the image reading/writing part in Cycles optional.

Regards,
Brecht.