[Bf-cycles] Potentially incredible fast rendering idea :-D

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu Jun 19 17:47:06 CEST 2014

There are various papers making use of this kind of temporal
information, for example:

* Reprojection Cache (various papers)
* Temporally Coherent Irradiance Caching
* Statistical Acceleration for Animated Global Illumination

For final renders, I haven't seen a reliable algorithm. It's similar
to other recent GI filtering techniques I think, you can get a
significant speedup but there are also persistent errors. These
methods work with heuristics to determine if you can interpolate or
reuse some values. They get it wrong for some % of pixels and you
can't efficiently detect when it happens because there's so many
things influencing the color of a pixel.

For preview renders it could be useful, though I would first try
spatial instead of temporal filtering because it's much easier to fit
in. For final renders, I would not advise to do it.

Brecht.