[Bf-committers] GSoC 2018: Layer Painting Proposal

Cheryl Chen chnchryl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 13:49:17 CEST 2018

Thanks for the insight, Kévin!
Oh right, I didn't really consider how the data would be saved so that a
user can continue painting over multiple sessions. It does seem most
straightforward to save everything in the .blend file, though that could
result in really big .blend files. Perhaps a layer unpacking feature,
similar to texture unpacking, could be useful for reducing .blend file size
after a user is done painting, but I'll have to look more into how external
data packing works.

Also thanks, Yury, for the suggestion!
That sounds like multi-layer painting, but also with some presets -- maybe
like a simple version of Substance Painter's material library? I'm focusing
more on getting the basis of layer support implemented in my project, but
that is a feature I would really like to add later on, maybe even after
GSoC. I'll have to see how it goes!

Best,

Cheryl