[Bf-committers] Blender 2.8 planning notes 2017-07-24

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 10:59:42 CEST 2017

Adding to Sergey's comments,
>From the meetings I've attended, these aren't big-picture design
discussions which others would feel left out from.
Its quite mundane scheduling of each developers weekly tasks.

Of course its always possible to touch on interesting topics - so
better do in public room.
If it's too noisy & disrupting #blendercoders - we could always move
to a different room, announcing in #blendercoders if people like to
join.

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 5:59 PM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just to state the obvious. the "closed" nature of those meetings did not
> happen due to attempts to isolate anyone. At the early days we were having
> long (2+ hours) meetings, discussion and trying to lay down strong core
> concepts. That wouldn't be efficient at all to occupy public channel for
> such amount of time and ask everyone else to stay silent. Besides, they
> were never secret, everyone knew about them.
>
> Nowadays we've got all core designs in place, we know exactly where each
> team is going to, so meetings are much shorter now. So we can totally
> occupy #blendercoders with those meetings without worrying that we are
> silencing everyone else for too long.
>
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 7:10 PM, Julian Eisel <eiseljulian at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Meeting agrees we don't like to do planning behind closed-doors and to
>> > to move future meetings into #blendercoders
>> > So others can more easily be involved in 2.8x development.
>> Good to hear! Was pretty disappointed about the closed 2.8 meetings.
>> Volunteers weren't invited either, as if you didn't want any to work
>> on 2.8...
>> Anyway, I definitely support the move to #blendercoders :)
>>
>> On 25 July 2017 at 20:02, Mike Erwin <significant.bit at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Yes!!! An open development process is one of our greatest advantages.
>> >
>> > Mike Erwin
>> > musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire
>>

> --
> With best regards, Sergey Sharybin

- Campbell